The name Scartho is from the Old Scandanavian Skarth+haugr, or “mound near a gap”. It appeared as Scarhou in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, “A Dictionary of English Place-Names,” Oxford University Press, 1991]
The Church Clock
The rector of the St Giles church has prepared a visitors guide to the church, and within is the information that the church clock was presented to the parish by Joseph Grantham in 1921” in thanksgiving for the preservation of the village from destruction, and, as a tribute to those who were killed during the 1914-1918 war”. The German bomb that struck the churchyard in 1916 badly damaged the roof of the church that half of it had to be renewed and all the windows restored. However, the ancient tower survived intact, so that the church bells could be rung the next morning for the moring service. I climbed the tower from the entrance of the church and looked at the clock from the inside of the tower, with its brass plate.
Below are photographs of the clock from the inside and out, showing the commemorative plate. I was unable to measure the size of the clock.
The clock is shown in position on the wall of the church in the photograph that heads this section of memorials in Scartho.
Clock from outside
Presented by Jos Grantham to Scartho Church 1921
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WAR 1914 – 1919
ERECTED BY JOSEPH GRANTHAM RIDAL ON THE 24TH SEP. 1916
A BOMB FROM A GERMAN ZEPPELIN FELL ON THIS SPOT AND 13 MORE IN THE PARISH. NO ONE WAS HURT THE CHURCH AND OTHER PROPERTY WAS DAMAGED
Left: Memorial amongst gravestones Right: Joseph Grantham Memorial
In the churchyard, surrounded by all the gravestones is a tall shaft of polished red granite surmounted by an urn, standing on a plinth of granite. This memorial to the day that the People of Scartho were spared from injury, when a stick of bombs were dropped from a zeppelin, was erected by a Joseph Grantham and unveiled on Thursday 23rd of September, 1920, almost four years from the day that the raid occurred, which was the 24th September, 1916. The ‘Grimsby News’, in its edition the next day described the stone being unveiled by Rev. J. Sheldon of Beelsby assisted by Rev. W. J. Russell, superintendant minister of the Wesleyan Methodists in Grimsby. Joseph Grantham, paid for the memorial, and T.E. Ridal stonemasons of Scartho Road, Grimsby supplied the stone and erected the memorial into position. The name of this company is on the memorial.
Below are some photographs of the memorial’s inscriptions, starting with the North side, then south side and finally the west side. The memorial measures 3160mm high, and 1000mm in circumference at it widest point. The 3 separate bases in ‘wedding cake’ style, measure from top to bottom, 410mm square, 560mm sqaure, 790mm square.
Oak Carved table in North Chancel
The same article in the “Grimsby News” of Friday 19th March, 1920 described a Carved oak altar table being in place in the sanctuary. This table had above it, carved on the wall of the church the following phrase “ Greater Love hath no man than this that a man laid down his life for his friends” There was also a bronze tablet in the sanctuary, which was likely that which was described in the faculty above. The Carved Oak Table is still in existence, though no longer in the sanctuary. Its place has been taken by another altar put there when the north aisle and vestries were built between 1954-1955. The table measures 1730mm long, 920mm high and is 630mm wide. Above is a photograph of this oak table.
I could find no trace of the brass plate as described in the faculty above, and there were no letters on the wall behind the present altar in the sanctuary.
Stone Slab Memorial in North Aisle
Every Friday a newspaper in Grimsby was published called “The Grimsby News”. In its edition on 19th March, 1920, the newspaper reported an event that had occurred the previous Saturday, the 13th March, 1920. This was the opening of the new sanctuary at St. Giles Church “A dignified and Artitisan Sanctuary” it described. It described a fine carved memorial of Portland Stone on the north wall of the church. This “carved monument” was unveiled by a Mr. Wallis, the father of Harry Wallis, the first named person on the monument on that Saturday. The “Nunc Dimittis” was sung along with a special hymn especially composed for the National Memorial Service held at Westminster Abbey. The monument was dedicated by the Rector of the Parish, Rev. Canon Markham. The newspaper article listed the names on the memorial, and placed the cost of all the memorials in the church opened that day as £187, of which £4 was collected that day in the service. The memorial was placed in the church by Mr. Ion, contractor, and the carving of the stone performed by a Mr. Frith of Grimsby.
In the 1990’s a list of names was placed below this memorial in memory of the service personnel from Scartho parish who had died in the Second World War.
Below are photographs of the Memorial, and then the inscriptions from the 2 World Wars.
St Giles Parish Church, Scartho, Grimsby
The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Giles. Parts of the church are of Saxon origin.
A faculty is the Church’s equivalent of planning permission. Before any plaque, statue, memorial can be placed in a church permission has to be sought from the Dicosean Advisory Committee. As far as St. Giles Church is concerned, before any plaque could be placed in the church, its design had to be first approved by the local church council and then submitted to Lincoln for approval. Faculty books may be found in the Lincolnshire Archives and one for Scartho is listed under the following reference:-
Extract from Page 387 Faculty Book 14
1. Provision and placing of stone slab on the north wall of the nave in memory of the men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War.
2. The provision of a new altar table and panelling of oak with copper plate 3″ x 3″, with the inscription “Dedicated to the memory of Scartho men who gave their lives for their Country 1914-1919” in the sanctuary in accordance with the plan of Charles Henry Walsh of Grimsby – Architect.
On the 23rd September, 1916 a zeppelin dropped a line of bombs on Scartho which caused no injury at all, but did some damage. There is a plaque on a wall of a building in Pinfold Lane commemorating this attack. The building currently occupied by a company offering customers the chance to obtain a fine tan, is situated on the corner of Pinfold Lane and Louth Road, has on its side this stone plaque. It apears to be quite new and in good condition apart from grafitti in red paint. It would appear that the original building on which the plaque was inserted in 1920 has been demolished, and a new building erected in the 1970’s. A new plaque has been inserted in this new building.
The above photographs show the plaque and the building on which it is erected.
The other memorials in Scartho are all situated in St. Giles Church, Church Lane, Scartho, which lies off Louth Road. The church is usually open on Friday & Saturday mornings for visitors, and there are services on Sundays as well. The graveyard is always open for visitors.